- Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) have claimed responsibility for Paris shooting, Reuters reports, citing the Islamic extremist network, Amaq News Agency. It also named Abu Yusuf al-Beljiki as the man behind the attack.
- Donald Trump responds to Paris shooting: ‘It looks like another terrorist attack’
- Arrest warrant ‘issued for second suspect’
- Gunman ‘was known by intelligence services for radicalisation’ and was ‘let go’ by anti-terror prosecutors
- ‘ A man all in black took out a Kalashnikov and fired’ killing one Policeman and injuring several others.
One policeman has been shot dead by a lone gunman in Central Paris, France. The shooter is also reported to of been killed by the security forces. Once again the shooter was known to intelligence services, he was even interviewed and then ‘let go’ by anti-terror prosecutors. Is this all beginning to sound a little familiar, are you getting a sense of Deja Vu?
This has come at a convenient time for Marine Le Pen as it can be used to add weight to her racist anti-Muslim narrative. Only this week she said in a French Radio interview “We cannot fight the terrorism that weighs on our country without controlling our borders,”
The BBC Reports:
One policeman has been shot dead and two others wounded in central Paris, French police say, with their suspected attacker killed by security forces.
A lone gunman opened fire before being killed as he fled the scene, police say. The Champs Elysees was sealed off.
President Francois Hollande said that he was convinced the attack was “terrorist-related”.
So-called Islamic State (IS) said that one of its “fighters” had carried out the attack.
Islamist militancy is a major issue in the polls after recent mass attacks claimed by IS, with 238 people killed in jihadist attacks in France since 2015, according to data from AFP news agency.
Several candidates in Sunday’s presidential election have ended their campaigns early as a mark of respect.
“On the face of it, the officers were deliberately targeted,” interior ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said.
We have no further details on this as yet but will update this article as new information comes in.